Monday 6 August 2012

Brand new start

A Cupboard Full of Coats by Yvvette Edwards

After spending most of her life consumed by sheer guilt, the heroine of “A Cupboard Full of Coats,” finds some sort of comfort in finally finding out the truth surrounding her mother´s death. Another novel wrote in first person and yet another one that takes place in London. It is the ending that I found most gratifying. That and the way in which a gloomy past is interwoven with an even darker present.
At first I was a little bit annoyed at the perspective of reading once again about a woman´s inability to become a mother for her child. After “We Need to Talk about Kevin” I feel like I have almost developed some sort of phobia when it comes to reading about the intricate ways of motherhood. I simply can´t engage anymore with the subject, unless it is briefly touched upon like in the case of Yvvette Edwards´ book. Jinx´s narrative did follow me for a good few hours after I turned off my kindle. Hence my decision to write about it here.
It will certainly take me a little bit of time to get into a rhythm. Consistency is what I am striving for. That and some sort of gratification. I am not sure what kind, though. Writing about the books I read should help me get back into the “business of words.” Hopefully… 
The characters in this book felt quite vivid. They did not jump out from the page, but they certainly smelled, cooked, had sex, committed murder etc. and talked loud enough for me to be able to clearly hear and see them in my head. I kept wondering how I would have felt about the book, had I not been here. Pointless questioning, of course. 
My intention is to write up to three hundred words on each book that I finish. I am about to hit the mark with this one. Not too bumpy a start, after all!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment