Friday 10 August 2012

Crashing on the sofa


"Crash" - American drama film 2004

How much serendipity can one take in a film? To what point does it all become a little bit too clever or even way too transparent?
Although the questions above kept boiling up inside my head for a good part of the film, "Crash" made one of my evenings last week. It had all the ingredients to keep my eyes glued to the plasma from beginning to end and it even brought out the occasional sigh of relief at the way one situation or another was solved.
When it came to its incredible cast, to its spectacular power to make all characters fully-flashed and truly human, I´d say the film delivered. To the point that whether the connections were sometimes too obvious simply became simply unimportant. That´s what high quality use of serendipitous events ought to do in my book.
What I really liked about it was how none of the characters proved to be "the bad guy" as opposed to "the good guy." All boundaries seemed to dissolve and all preconceptions melted into a single certainty. This certainty is that any attempt at pigeonholing a person no matter what criteria you´d use is bound to fail. We are all victims of the choices we make in certain situations and nothing, not even skin color, background or high moral principles can point out at what this decision might be.
This recipe made the stories that intertwine in "Crash" truly engaging and their outcome did not disappoint. As the tension amounted at times to unexpected levels I found myself thinking I would definitely give "Crash" another go anytime. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment